The Renick family is one of the oldest families in Pickaway County. They are largely descended from Felix Renick, whose jumping cows were the stuff of legend in nineteenth century Ohio. Today they're best known for their huge farm market on Route 23 just north of South Bloomfield. Across the highway and down a bit from the market stands one of their family farmhouses, now empty. This is a fantastic house--huge, with something like six bedrooms
Avondale is a little town located just west of Zanesville on Route 22, at the intersection with 93. There are no other roads in this town, which contains only a handful of residents. The largest and nicest home in Avondale stands on 22 just a few feet from the intersection and has been abandoned for roughly thirty years. This is the Sidwell House--one of Muskingum County's best-known and scariest haunted houses.
Prospect Place, also known as The Trinway Mansion, is one of the most historic buildings. It was built between 1856 and 1857 in the tiny town of Trinway, north of Dresden in Muskingum County, by George Willison Adams. He built a mill nearby and farmed the surrounding land.
Cleveland's Franklin Castle has the distinction of being known as Ohio's most haunted house. It is a big, dark building with stone walls, a turret, and a six-foot wrought iron fence. Hans Tiedemann, a german immigrant who got rich from his barrel-making business and later the banking industry, built the house in the mid-1800's. The count varies, but it was supposed to have 21 rooms. It also featured a fourth floor ballroom accessible by its own staircase, marble fireplaces, dumbwaiters, wine cel
Mudhouse Mansion is an abandoned house located in Fairfield County, just east of Lancaster, at 4730 Mudhouse Road. It's a very imposing, impressive place built into a hill, with a number of outbuildings surrounding it. With its empty windows and isolated location, Mudhouse Mansion practically screams haunted house. And, appropriately enough, it is one.
Just north of Lockbourne, Ohio, a couple hundred feet from Lockbourne Road, stands the plague cemetery. I don't know whether that's its official name--probably not--but the local legend goes that the people here died from a mysterious plague and were buried in the middle of a field for fear of contamination.
Meyers Lake was the social and entertainment centre of eastern Ohio for nearly 100 years. Over its lifespan, Meyers Lake Park (Canton, Ohio) and the surrounding area offered a wider range of attractions, entertainment and recreational outlets than any other park in Ohio. It was an area of natural beauty, with peaceful picnic groves and the tranquil lake.