West Virginia Penitentiary
The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, constructed between 1858 and 1881, is the largest hand-cut stone masonry building in North America, and is purportedly the second largest in the world, next to the Kremlin. It was designed by the renowned architect Richard Andrews following the Kirkbride plan, which called for long rambling wings arranged in a staggered formation, assuring that each of the connecting structures received an abundance of therapeutic sunlight and fresh air. The original hospital,
Trans Alleghenny Lunatic Asylum
Fort Mifflin - (Fort Island Battery) commissioned in 1771, sits on Mud Island on the Delaware River. During the Revolutionary War, the British captured the fort as part of their conquest of Philadelphia in the fall of 1777. The U.S. Army began its rebuilding of the fort in 1794. It housed prisoners during the Civil War. In 1962, The army decommissioned Fort Mifflin and returned it to the City of Philadelphia. Fun Fact: The fort is reportedly haunted.