Plantations of Louisiana
The abandoned Belle Grove mansion in White Castle, LA. These photos were taken in 1938, years after its abandonment. When it was built in 1857 it was the largest mansion in the south and comprised of more than 75 rooms. It has since burned to the ground.
Seven Oaks Plantation, was across the Miss. river from New Orleans Audubon Zoo in the Westwego community. Built ca. 1840, it was once one of the greatest sugar plantations along River Road. Occupied by both Confederate & Union troops during the Civil War. Used as army barracks during WWI. Vacated in 1957, it went into a state of deterioration. It was sadly demolished in 1977. Note it had 8 columns on the front & back & 7 columns on the sides.
Left to rot This house was moved from Washington, Louisiana to the St. Francisville area. It has been known as the Payne-Fenner house, Thistlewaite, Woodland, and Macland Plantation. It was often used in its early days to offer hospitality to Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy.
Le Beau Plantation in Arabi, Louisiana is located near the Domino Sugar Plant. There's still a chance that the old LeBeau house, just south of New Orleans, can be saved, but there's no question that time is running out for the historic building. It is one of only two Arabi plantation homes to make it to the 21st century and was once the largest plantation south of New Orleans. Unoccupied since the 1980's. See photos of the plantation in 1910.