Categories

Come on in! Join Pinterest today...it only takes like a second or so.

The daughters of the late Powhatan artist, William Youngblood, are ready to share their father’s work with the world again. "Legacy," an exhibit of his work, goes on display at the end of the month at the Uptown Gallery in Richmond, his daughter Judy Lane of Richmond said. More than 100 framed and matted pieces created by Youngblood will be on display from July 29 to Sept. 27 in the upstairs of the gallery at 1305 W. Main St.

Late artist’s work featured in city art show

timesdispatch.com

The Fourth of July weekend marked the 40th anniversary since the Daniels opened Cozy Acres Family Campground in July 1974 at 2177 Ridge Road.

Cozy Acres Campground marks its 40th year

timesdispatch.com

Belmead embraces its educational roots

Belmead embraces its educational roots

timesdispatch.com

University of Tennessee-Knoxville's archeological dig for the last four summers around the home of Fred & Carolyn Neurohr on Old Buckingham Road (French's Tavern, built in 1730, and on the National Register of Historic Places), is uncovering the history of western Powhatan.

University team digs into local history

timesdispatch.com

On Page 45 (47 in the PDF) in "Virginians Who Lost Their Lives in the World War" (1921) among those from Powhatan who were listed, it was noted that they had died of disease - (I wonder if it was the flu of 1918?): Ollie Brown of Ballsville, October, 3 1918; Erskin Winston, of Powhatan, October 8, 1918

The Road to Someplace Better: From the Segregated South to Harvard Business School and Beyond - Lillian Lincoln Lambert - Google Books (includes some interesting reading about Ballsville)

The Road to Someplace Better

books.google.com

Bobby Wilcox poses inside Lukhard's Virginia Pantry - from summer 2006 edition of Virginia ABC Licensee newsletter

In VA there are 7 counties with Indian names but Powhatan County is the only one named after a chief. The James River forms its northern border and the Appomattox River is on the south side. The county is named for the paramount chief of the powerful confederacy of tribes of Algonquian-speaking Native Americans in the Tidewater in 1607, when the British settled at Jamestown.

Franklin Equipment Co: Built before WW II by Mr Bohlen, owner of Mill Quarter Plantation, to export Tobacco back to Germany. When US entered war with Germany he was out of business. E. Floyd Yates purchased the building & rented to new Lawyer & returning WW II Veteran, William R. Blandford & his wife Aileen as a temporary home. In 1947 it became Yates Tractor Co. Later it became Franklin Equipment and now Erin's Village Eatery

Powhatan Colored School, Powhatan County (imprint: c Aug. 1937) | Virginia Department of Education, Division of School Buildings, Photographs of Public Schools, 1900-1963. | Accession 31032 , State Records Collection | Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.

Capt Joseph E. Hobson (Aug. 26, 1837 - Apr. 19, 1919) was a member of Company E, Fourth Virginia Cavalry 1861-1865. He enlisted on May 25, 1861. In October of 1861 he suffered with Typhoid. Promoted to Second Lieutenant on April 25, 1862, he made First Lieutenant 3 days later. Was made a Captain on October 14, 1864. He was paroled May 11, 1865 at Manchester. He attended Hampden-Sydney College. His stone is inscibed: Mark the perfect man and behold the upright for the end of that man is Peace.

The Benjamin Hobson Family And Hobson's Chapel During the 18th and 19th centuries, there were two unrelated Hobson families in Powhatan County. The Adcock Hobson family came from Northumberland County and lived at "Blenheim". The other Hobson family-that of John Hobson-came from White Oak Swamp in Henrico. Descendents of the latter family built Hobson's Chapel.

short excerpt of Oscar Johnson talking about how he helped restore Sublett's Tavern.

Harris Family - Powhatan, Virginia - 1944 Top Left: Richard Abner Harris (1883-1963), dairy farmer, and his wife, Ella Nature Purdy (1884-1965) - Genito, Powhatan County, Virginia. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In this log entry and expense report for August 26, 1923, William C. Schroeder, a State Special Prohibition Inspector, recorded the confiscation of two illegal moonshine stills in Clayville, Powhatan County, and a car chase. The car chase took place over three miles of rough wooded roads. Schroeder did not apprehend the escaped bootlegger, but another bootlegger was acquitted of his crimes when he gave information about the escaped man to the judge.| Library of Virginia, Richmond Virginia.

CSA #13, 20¢ green, tied by RICHMOND / VA / Jul 20 cds on cover to "Mr. Thos C. Brown, Ballsville, Powhatan County, Va." with second neat strike below, with original 1864 business enclosure asking if addressee can furnish 3 sugar cane crushers, some light toning, Fine. Confederate Patent Office records show a patent issued to Brown for this new machine on February 8, 1864. A piece of machine history.

Outdoor activities at Belmead-on-the-James, a plantation turned educational institution in Powhatan County, Va. The campus once boasted 40-plus buildings; today, only three major historic structures remain standing.

Paxton House, birthplace of Dr. John Gifford Skelton, was built in 1819 by his father, Ennion. Paxton is located on Genito Rd in Powhatan. Dr. Skelton was a prominent physician in Virginia History, & one of the Founders of the Medical College Of Virginia in Richmond (MCV). During the Civil War, Dr Skelton served on Lee's Staff in the Confederate Army. Also included is footage of the village of nearby Powhatan and the Courthouse.

The Skeltons of Paxton, Powhatan County, Virginia : and their connections, including sketches of the families of Skelton, Gifford and Crane (1922) - available free

Preserving the history of a life-changing place before it crumbles - Richmond Times Dispatch - Richmond VA

Old student uniforms from the St. Francis and St. Emma schools hang in a display at Belmead.

Sister Maureen Carroll, one of the nuns at Belmead on the James in Powhatan County, VA, looks up at the names J. B. Cocke and Kate Wilson with the date Aug. 17, 1863 carved with a diamond on one of the mansion's windowpanes. The names are those of the son of the original owner, Philip St. George Cocke, and his new bride on their wedding day. A small group of nuns are working to preserve the history and heritage of the ante-bellum mansion.

Powhatan High School Band Room; Maker: Richmond Newspapers, Inc. - Lynn, Carl; Place Made: Powhatan County, Virginia; Date Made: September 1, 1972 - Black and white photograph of band room in new Powhatan High School; horn rests on stool in foreground. (This was at what was in 1972 the new High School)

Richmond History Center - Objects

collections.richmondhistorycenter.com

Sign ("Dictatorship") on tree, Powhatan County, Va., 1962-1963 :: Edward H. Peeples Prince Edward County (Va.) Public Schools - Date of Photograph 1962-1963 - Sign on tree on U.S. route 60 in Powhatan County, Va., on south side of highway about two miles from Cumberland County line. It followed an order by Federal District Judge John Butzner to admit six African Americans to two Powhatan County Public Schools & also enjoining county officials from closing schools to avoid desegregation.

St. Emma Trade School:Repair Shop :: Through the Lens of Time Date : Date unknown; Location: Belmead, Virginia; Subject: schools; machinery; labor; education; industry