Categories

Come on in! Join Pinterest today...it only takes like a second or so.

Dover Church & Cemetery

Dover Churches, Churchyards, and Cemeteries, in the county of Kent, England, UK. Includes images of the Church of St Mary the Virgin, St Mary-in-Castro, Old St James the Apostle Church, and the Victorian Cowgate Cemetery. Most photos were originally uploaded to the Panoramio "Images of Dover" website at: http://www.panoramio.com/user/250345

Old St James Church War Memorial, Dover, Kent, England, United Kingdom. The church of St James the Apostle was destroyed in World War II, ruins now a monument to the people of Dover UK who endured bombs and shell-fire 1939-1945. West Door (left) and North Tower (centre). 14th Century White Horse Inn separated from the church by Hubert Passage to the left; churchyard, or cemetery once extended to the right. Urban, History, Architecture, and Religion. See: www.panoramio.com...

Church of St Mary the Virgin in Winter, Dover, Kent, England, UK: Bell Tower, weather vane, and clock of St Mary's parish church and snow. Church of England, CofE Listed Building. Lady Chapel in left-hand aisle, Organ in right. Tower sundial not in shot. Originally a Roman site: Saxon church burnt 1066, Norman church built pre-1086; Victorian restoration 1843-1844. Located Cannon Street, CT16 1BY. Urban Dover Architecture and Medieval History. See: www.panoramio.com...

Up Close and Personal - St Mary the Virgin Church Sundial, Dover, England, UK. Vertically declining sun dial added to St Mary's Church bell tower in 1656. Zoom lens reveals no inscription. 1914 "Ye Sundial Booke" by Thomas Geoffrey Wall Henslow attributes this poem to the dial: "Ye hours that pass beyond recall - Our God hath taken count of all - Determine, then, all time shall be - Not wasted, but improved by thee." Urban (Cannon Street) History. See: www.panoramio.com...

First World War Memorial, St Mary’s Church, Dover, Kent, England, United Kingdom. North Churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, Cannon Street. Front Panel: "To the Glory of God and in Affectionate Memory of the Men of St Mary’s Parish and Congregation who gave their lives for God, King and Country in the Great War 1914-1918". Stone cross unveiled 1921 by Lieutenant-Colonel Christopher Middlemass Davidson, dedicated by Bishop of Dover. Urban, WWI History. See: www.panoramio.com...

Moray House, 103 Maison Dieu Road, Dover, Kent CT16 1RU, England, United Kingdom. Victorian dwelling on former Charlton Back Lane. Presbytery for priest at adjacent St Paul's Roman Catholic Church. 1881 Census has Master Tailor John Falconer living here who had businesses at 12 and 17 Bench Street, Dover, and at 4a Church Street, Folkestone. John was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, died Moray House in 1913. Urban Architecture, History, and Religion. See: www.panoramio.com...

St Paul’s Roman Catholic Church, 103 Maison Dieu Road, Dover, Kent, England, United Kingdom. Built 1867-1868 in Pointed style of medieval 13th century by Edward Welby Pugin of Kentish rag and Bath stone dressings. Opened 1868 by Bishop of Southwark. Church apse added 1873. Left (partly in shadow): former St Paul's RC School (built 1872) now used for church activities and social club. Presbytery to the right. Urban Victorian Architecture and History. See: www.panoramio.com...

Sundial Verse of St Mary the Virgin Parish Church, Dover, Kent, England, UK. Vertical sun dial on south side of bell tower was added in 1656 during Oliver Cromwell's English Commonwealth. 1914 book, "Ye Sundial Booke" by Thomas Geoffrey Wall Henslow attributes this poem to it, "Ye hours that pass beyond recall - Our God hath taken count of all - Determine, then, all time shall be - Not wasted, but improved by thee." Urban (Cannon Street) History. See: www.panoramio.com...

The Eight Bells of St Mary the Virgin Church, Dover, Kent, England, UK. South side of the Church of England (C of E) parish church bell tower in Cannon Street with weather vane and sundial. Tower had 2 church bells in 1497; there were 5 prior to the English Reformation; in 1663 a 6th bell was added. In 1724 bell-founder Samuel Knight re-cast the 6 bells into the 8 tunable bells of today. Urban Dover Architecture, Norman and Victorian History photo. See: www.panoramio.com...

Fire-damaged Ruins of St Columba Church, High Street, Dover, Kent, England, UK. January 2013: 80-foot high tower and west window of former Congregational Church (opened 1904) and United Reform Church (1972) that caught fire in 2007 during conversion into St Martin's Court apartments (flats) on the corner with Priory Hill. Burnt roof rafter visible through small top window. Urban Dover Architecture (Gothic of the Lancastrian Period) and History. See: www.panoramio.com...

Close-up of St Mary’s Parish Church in Sunshine and Snow, Dover, Kent, England, UK. Chancel (apse) end of St Mary the Virgin, a Church of England, CofE Listed Building. Lady Chapel in right-hand aisle, Organ in left. Originally a Roman site: Saxon church burnt 1066, Norman church built before 1086; Victorian restoration 1843-1844. Located Cannon Street, CT16 1BY. View: Church Street. Winter 2013 Urban Dover Architecture and Medieval History photo. See: www.panoramio.com...

St Mary the Virgin Parish Church in Snow and Sunshine, Dover, Kent, England, UK. Eastern (chancel, apse) end of St Mary's, a Church of England, CofE Listed Building. Lady Chapel in right-hand aisle, Organ in left. Originally a Roman site: Saxon church burnt 1066, Norman church built before 1086; Victorian restoration 1843-1844. Located Cannon Street, CT16 1BY. View from Stembrook. Winter 2013 Urban Dover Architecture and Medieval History photo. See www.panoramio.com...

St Mary the Virgin Parish Church in Sunhine and Snow, Dover, Kent, England, UK. Eastern (chancel, apse) end of St Mary's, a Church of England, CofE Listed Building. Lady Chapel in right-hand aisle, Organ in left. Originally a Roman site: Saxon church burnt 1066, Norman church built before 1086; Victorian restoration 1843-1844. Located Cannon Street, CT16 1BY. View from Stembrook. Winter 2013 Urban Dover Architecture and Medieval History photo. See www.panoramio.com...

Mystery of the Empty Victorian Vault of Cowgate Cemetery Nature Reserve, Dover, Kent, England, UK. Nine bodies interred but insertion of camera through design feature in vault headstone reveals empty coffins and general disarray. Believed to be the work of Grave Robbers operating in Dover area in late 1980s. Exterior of vault shown in Pinterest video: pinterest.com/... Cemetery design attributed to Stephen Geary, architect of Highgate Cemetery, London. Church, History.

Old St James the Apostle Church and White Horse Inn, St James Street, Dover, Kent, England, UK. White Horse public house (pub) said to date from 1300, now mostly 18th century. Church known as Dover's "Tidy Ruin" after damage by shell-fire from France during World War II. Now a war memorial to townspeople of 1939-1945. Originally Saxon place of worship then Norman with an 1869 Victorian restoration. Urban Dover Architecture, History, Travel and Tourism. See www.panoramio.com...

The Unique St Edmund’s Chapel of Priory Road at Night, Dover, Kent, England, UK. Consecrated 1253 by St Richard of Chicester, dedicated to St Edmund of Abingdon. Dissolved 1544 under Tudor King Henry VIII. Dimensions: 28 feet by 14, walls 2 feet thick. Ex-Royal Navy victualling store, store room, blacksmith's forge, Toc H. Restored 1967-1968, Saturday morning Eucharists held every week. Grade II* Listed Building. Church, History, Travel and Tourism. See: www.panoramio.com...

Saxon Church and Roman Pharos, Harold's Earthwork, Dover Castle, Kent, England, UK. Pharos lighthouse, or watchtower, built 46 AD under Emperor Claudius; Aulus Plautius, governor. Ex-belfry to St Mary-in-Castro. King Lucius Church. Restored by Victorians Sir George Gilbert Scott, William Butterfield. Devil's Door on north side. Listed Building and English Heritage site, also Scheduled Ancient Monument. Architecture, Medieval History. See www.panoramio.com...

Georgian Woodcut Engraving of Saxon St Mary-in-Castro Church and Roman Pharos Ruins, Dover Castle, Kent, England, UK. Originally King Lucius church, later re-consecrated and dedicated by St Augustine to St Mary the Virgin, and AD 46 Roman lighthouse or watchtower as seen circa 1834 (may be Victorian). Pharos was once used as a bell tower, or belfry. English Heritage Listed Building. Norman and Medieval History. More information at www.panoramio.com...

East Wall Reredos of Old St James the Apostle Church, St James Street, Dover, Kent, England, UK. Reredos: "A decorative screen or facing on the wall at the back of an altar". Building known as Dover's "Tidy Ruin" after damage by shell-fire from France during World War II. Now a war memorial to townspeople of 1939-1945. Church originally Saxon and then Norman before 1869 Victorian restoration. Urban Dover Architecture, History, Travel and Tourism. See www.panoramio.com...

Charles Wooden VC, and Nearby Graves, St James Cemetery, Dover, Kent, England, UK. Sergeant W Hill, Green Howards; Lieutenant (QM) Charles Wooden, Victoria Cross, 104th Regiment of Foot (Bengal Fusiliers); Harry Percy Smith, Royal Artillery; Morrison Children: Albert, Ethel, and Little Billie; Private George Radford, Royal Horse Guards. Basra Memorial: Private Albert Henry Morrison, the Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment). British Army, Church, History. See: www.panoramio.com...

Roman Pharos and Saxon church of St Mary-in-Castro, Harold’s Earthwork, Dover Castle, Kent, England, UK. Pharos lighthouse (watch-tower) built 46 AD by Emperor Claudius while Aulus Plautius governor of Britain. Ex-belfry to pre-1020 AD St Mary-in-Castro King Lucius church (Victorian restorations: Sir George Gilbert Scott, William Butterfield). Listed Building, English Heritage site, Scheduled Ancient Monument. Medieval History. Travel and Tourism. See: www.panoramio.com...

Ruins of Knights Templar Church, Western Heights, Dover, Kent, England, UK. Discovered in 1806, some authorities believe this is site where the Benedictine monk Matthew Paris says King John submitted to the papal legate Pandulph in May 1213. Circular nave imitates design of church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, Israel. Oblong chancel. Order of Knights Templar founded 1118 to protect pilgrims visiting Holy Land. Norman Architecture, History. More at www.panoramio.com...

St Edmund’s Chapel at Night, 14 Priory Road, Dover CT17 0QX, Kent, England, UK. Consecrated 1253 by St Richard of Chicester, dedicated to St Edmund of Abingdon. Dissolved 1544 under Tudor King Henry VIII. Dimensions: 28 feet by 14, walls 2 feet thick. Ex-Royal Navy victualling store, store room, blacksmith's forge, Toc H. Restored 1967-1968, Saturday morning Eucharists held every week. Grade II Listed Building. Church, History, Travel and Tourism. More at www.panoramio.com...

Unique St Edmund’s Chapel of 14 Priory Road, Dover CT17 0QX, Kent, England, UK. Consecrated 1253 by St Richard of Chicester, dedicated to St Edmund of Abingdon. Dissolved 1544 under Tudor King Henry VIII. Dimensions: 28 feet by 14, walls 2 feet thick. Ex-Royal Navy victualling store, store room, blacksmith's forge, Toc H. Restored 1967-1968, Saturday morning Eucharists held every week. Grade II* Listed Building. Church, History, Travel and Tourism. More at <a href='http://www.panoramio.com/photo/46114506' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>www.panoramio.com...</a>

Knights Templar Church Ruins, Western Heights, Dover, Kent, England, UK. Discovered in 1806, some authorities believe this is site where the Benedictine monk Matthew Paris says King John submitted to the papal legate Pandulph in May 1213. Circular nave imitates design of church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, Israel. Oblong chancel. Order of the Knights Templar founded 1118 to protect pilgrims visiting Holy Land. Norman Architecture, History. More at www.panoramio.com...

Fire Engines at the St Columba Church Fire, Dover, Kent, England, UK. A fire broke out at the ex-United Reform Church of St Columba on Saturday, September 22nd, 2007, during the building's conversion into apartments (flats). Dennis Fire Tenders from Kent Fire and Rescue Service. Main Tower 80 feet high, located on corner of Priory Hill and High Street (now known as St. Martin's Court) almost opposite Town Hall. Urban Dover Victorian Architecture. More at www.panoramio.com...