Due to its fragility, this beautiful ring is also a rarity. Circa 1790, it features a tiny, hand-carved ivory ship set under crystal. A frame of garnets surrounds the crystal, and the waves beneath the ship are hand-painted. Popular during the late 18th and early 19th centuries, pieces like this were carved by specialists predominately located in Germany, Switzerland, and France.
Gold ring, with an almost circular bezel, the face pierced and set with shaped turquoises, leaving a heart, scrolls and the initials 'FDA' reserved in metal, mid 16th century
Gold alloy mourning ring commemorating Captain George Blagdon Westcott (1745-1798), who was killed at the Battle of the Nile. The bezel of the ring is decorated with an anchor made up of brilliants, which is set on a background of woven blond hair, and is contained under a crystal. The edge of the bezel is inscribed on a black enamel background (taille d'épargne) with the words 'G B WESTCOTT OB 1 Aug 1798'.
The two Mycenaean rings shown right are enlarged images of signet rings found in Shaft Grave 4, which show hunt scenes - the image on the bottom shows men in chariots hunting stags. With the top image of a man fighting a lion - it looks like a scene from the Mesopotamian Gilgamesh - which may indicate that the ring has been imported. Certainly the man at the top looks to be wearing trousers, a Mesopotamian practice - the Greeks liked to show their men nude.