18th Century London
Maps and images showcasing the largest metropolis on the planet in the 1700s! The New York of the Eighteenth Century. As Samuel Johnson said "If you are sick of London, you are sick of life".
On the day of the launch of The East End Preservation Society, the story of how the Geffrye Museum came to be founded as the outcome of a row over the proposed redevelopment of the Ironmongers’ Almshouses in the Kingsland Rd a century ago. spitalfieldslife....
Three centuries ago, the roads around this pub in Mayfair, London were dominated by horsedrawn carriages of Georgian aristocrats and servants who led the way by foot. These servants used The Only Running Footman, or The Running Horse as it was named then, as a meeting and resting place. #theonlyrunningfootman
"A Thames Wharf" by Samuel Scott (1757) at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London - From the curators' comments: "London began in ancient times as a small settlement next to a crossing point of the Thames, and until the mid-19th century the river was still the main route through which all the trading wealth flowed into the City. The docks were literally the gateway to the world, filled with a huge mass of shipping."
Benjamin Franklin's house at 36 Craven Street, London, built c1730. This Grade I-listed building is the only surviving home of Franklin anywhere in the world. It is owned and run by the Benjamin Franklin House Trust who reopened it in 2006, the 300th anniversary of Franklin’s birth.
This picture shows St John's Gate, the gateway to what was once the priory of the Knights of St John. By the 18th century, it housed the offices of the publishers of the Gentleman's Magazine.
Almacks or Willis's Rooms, 1770-1840, King Street, St James. Almack's Assembly Rooms, founded by William Almack at No. 26-28, were on the site of the present Almack House. The club was originally a gaming establishment but moved from Pall Mall. The Assembly rooms were on the South side of King Street in St James's and were opened on February 12, 1765. At the time the subscription was ten guineas for which there was a ball and supper each week for the twelve weeks of the season.