Mission San Diego de Alcala 1910s: First of the 21 California missions, Mission San Diego de Alcala was founded on July 16, 1769 by Junipero Serra. It was rebuilt in 1776 after being destroyed by an Indian raid. It was secularized in 1834 after Mexico fought for its independence from Spain. The Mission sat abandoned until it was reutilized as an Indian school in 1892. In 1913, the church was rebuilt. It was designated as a Minor Basilica in 1976 by Pope Paul VI.
Mission San Diego de Alcala
San Juan Capistrano Mission
La Purisima Mission, Lompoc, CA
The swallows of San Juan Capistrano
the original missions of California
Mission Bells: San Juan Capistrano
Father Zephrin Engelhardt, c.1920 The great author & historian of the California missions.