A selection of photos from the Mercy-Douglass School of Nursing. Mercy-Douglass Hospital was formed in 1948 on the basis of the two hospitals serving a predominantly black patient population in Philadelphia. For more information about this collection, please visit our site at www.nursing.upenn.edu/history
In 1895, Dr. Nathan Mossell established the Frederick Douglass Memorial Hospital, the first black hospital in Philadelphia. In 1895, Dr. Mossell The second private black hospital in the city. Dr. Mossell was also one of the most highly educated and qualified surgeons at the turn of the 20th century. Even at the age of 90, the physician spent his final hours continuing to practice medicine."
Mercy-Douglass School of Nursing. The Nurses' Homes--The Warlick Building
Mercy Hospital School of Nursing,Class of 1943 Portrait: Mary J. Reynolds, Helen E. Robinson, Hattie M. Johnson, Mabel M. Harmon, Ethel M. Huie, Margie M. Rodman, Minnie K. Reeves, Ruby L. Rose, Rose S. Wilson, Evelyn R. Page, and Anne E. Terrel.
Mercy Hospital Nursing Staff with Miss Lula G. Warlick at center: Earnestine Eller, Fredericka Jones, Thelma Johnson Smith,Viola Terrell White, Eva Taylor Kinzer Reid, Eleanor Cain, Nora Lloyd Norman, Alberta Martin, Frances Young, Alvie Madison, and Dorthy Maguire (dietician)
Mercy Hospital Founding Fathers, including: Dr. Strickland, Dr. James, Dr. Hilton, Dr. Cherry, Dr. Warrick, Dr. Abele, Dr. Boyer, Dr. Minton, Dr. Jackson, Dr. Howard, Dr. Hinson, and Dr. Coates.