Categories
Log in
There’s more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what’s here!

Ohio University 1950s

Images of Ohio University and Athens, Ohio, during the 1950s. Many images originate directly from the University Archives. Along with the University and Athens, Ohio, this collection illustrates students of the 1950s. Curated by Student Collections Access Assistant P. Matthew Wesley, History and Film Major, BSS '13

Athena Yearbook, 1957. "The bell rings and echoes crazily down the nearly-empty corridors." :: Ohio University Archives

Ohio University's Carnegie Hall, looking northwest from Park Place, 1950s | Flickr :: Ohio University Archives

Athena Yearbook, 1951. "Freshman Week had its lighter moments as upperclassmen extended a warm welcome to those unfamiliar with our campus. OU's reputation as a friendly school was soon proved." :: Ohio University Archives

Athena Yearbook, 1956. The Ohio University map is drawn out in the back of the yearbook. :: Ohio University Archives

Athena Yearbook, 1956. Students take an afternoon to go to Lake Hope in the sunny weather and relax on the grass with some blankets. :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, November 1955. "How Rare is a 4.0?" Margaret Sahlin, '55, was the first woman and second person to graduate with an accumulative 4.0 scholastic record. :: Ohio University Archives

Athena Yearbook, 1959. Jefferson Hall, opened in 1958, was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States. :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, December 1955. "An Interdependence." Article about the relationship between Ohio University and the city of Athens. :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, October 1955. "Forecast Confirmed." "For the first time in its history, Ohio University has passed the 6000-student enrollment mark." :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, October 1955. "Beginning of the 1955-56 school year finds a record number of freshmen entering Ohio University. Freshman Susan Bishop, Leroy, Ohio, checks her list to make certain she hasn't forgotten anything while her father, John C. Bishop, hopefully awaits the signal to move on into Lindley Hall. Enjoying herself in the background, as she possibly recalls her own first day at OU, is Mrs. Bishop, the former Suvila Clapp, '32." :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, June 1959. Joseph Denham was the first person to receive a doctorate from Ohio University, June 7, 1959. He studied chemistry and wrote his dissertation while working as an assistant professor at Hiram College. :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, March 1959. "He Wanted A Degree." Jim Heady took classes at the Zanesville Branch of Ohio University while working in Cambridge. After graduation, he became the director of nonacademic personnel. :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, April 1959. "Wanted--An Audience." The Ohio University Jazz Forum aims to education students about jazz. :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, April 1959. Tom Burns, a junior at Ohio University, won second place at the NCAA finals. :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, May 1953. "The New Veteran: New GI Joe gets a Bill and vet group grows." :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, May 1953. "International Students Program Has Long History at OU." Top: Kathy Chakaris and Peter Couladis are in front, Yasuko Tsuchihashi, Mignonette Yin, and Myong Lee are in back. Bottom left: Inga-Marie Garvesen, Mrs. William C. Stehr, and Arne Hyldkorg. Bottom right: Ronald Nakatsuji and Albert Tanimura.

The Ohio Alumnus, January 1953. "Music Is Medicine for Mentally Ill. University and State Hospital cooperate in pioneering program of music therapy that is showing good early results." :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, October 1952. Baker Center (Old). "An event of great moment--the laying of the cornerstone of the new Student Center. Wayne Adams, Student Council president, and President Baker prepare the 1952 information put in the stone." :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, October 1952. "From 'Hog Island' to East Green first dorm on new campus named for Arthur C. Johnson." "And the building was named, appropriately, for the late Arthur C. Johnson, '95x, who as a University trustee worked diligently for the development of the East Green area, a tract of 11 acres that once "belonged" to the Hocking River." :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, April 1955. "Reflections on the portico of Scott Quadrangle give evidence of an April shower just passed. Prepared for the weather as they get ready to go to class are (l to r) sophomore coeds Janie Eisby, Cincinnati; Ann Parker, Delaware; and Ann Chaplin, Charlotte, North Caroline. The photograph is by Doug Wetherholt." :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, February 1955. Birds-eye view of campus. :: Ohio University Archives

The Ohio Alumnus, March 1951. "Students Help Improve County Children's Home." :: Ohio University Archives