COLT "BABY" PATERSON REVOLVER: This engraved Paterson was Colt's first revolver following his 1836 patent and saw limited use in the Seminole War and on the Texas Frontier. Commercially it was a failure and by 1842, Colt had turned his attention to developing harbor mines and submarines.
COLT MODEL 1851 REVOLVER: While most of the standard production run of the “Navy” Colt model came out of the Hartford factory with a 7.5 inch barrel, this c.1853-made engraved example with ivory grip panels is quite a bit shorter, coming in at just 4 inches. Custom presentation examples like this truncated Colt are extremely rare, but the small sideways “2” following the cylinder number may indicate that this revolver was one of a pair.
COLT'S SIDEHAMMER POCKET REVOLVER: Although actually designed by Sam Colt himself, the M1855/Root was unusual in that it was the only percussion Colt handgun built with a solid frame and a wrap-around one-piece grip. Offered in both .28 and .31 percussion caliber variations, this sidehammer Colt continued in production through the American Civil War until 1870, even if only around 45,000 examples were to be manufactured.
Colt Peacemaker of 1873 This .45-caliber has long been considered "the gun that won the West." Noted for its power and reliability, it was the most popular full sized revolver of the late 1800s. Turned out by the Colt Fire Arms Manufacturing Company of Hartford, Connecticut, it sold for $17 by mail order. A classic single action revolver, it remains in production today.
New Smith & Wesson Donation - Smith & Wesson’s first cartridge revolver was the Model No. 1, a diminutive seven-shot .22. But the first examples, termed by collectors as First Issue production were just a little bit different. This example, which bears serial number 376 has the early “bayonet” style latch and is considered a “second variation.” Donated by William & Martha Albershardt, this rare revolver is also associated by provenance with an Am. Civil War soldier.