Cotton Club Opened as Club DeLux on 142nd Street and Lenox Avenue by Jack Johnson in 1920. After the club failed, Johnson sold the club in 1923 to Owney Madden. Owney Madden called it The Cotton Club and only white people were allowed as guests. Very few blacks were allowed to attend as guests but all of the entertainers, performers and musicians were black.
The Cotton Club, New York - which was run by the gangster Owney Madden was open from 1923 to 1940 - notably through the Prohibition Era.