Also on these boards
640 Fifth Ave. | New York, NY. Built in 1880 as the residence of William Henry Vanderbilt, it was one of two identical "twin mansions" that took up the block. 640 Fifth Ave. passed to George W. Vanderbilt and then to Cornelius Vanderbilt III (1914) who sold the residence to the Astor Family in 1940. Grace Vanderbilt (Mrs. Cornelius III) stayed in the home until 1944 when she moved to 1048 Fifth Avenue. The Astors demolished the property.
640 Fifth Ave. | New York, NY. Designed by John B. Snook and decorator C. B. Atwood for William H. Vanderbilt, the "twin mansions" took up the entire block. Wm occupied the southern half; two of his daughters the northern half. Wm.'s home was left to his son George W. Vanderbilt but because G. W. had no sons, it passed to Cornelius Vanderbilt III, eldest son of Cornelius Vanderbilt II, who had been disinherited by his father. Mrs. C.V. II (Grace Wilson) lived there until 1944. Since demolished.
1894, Manhattan: The Vanderbilt Mansion on 5th Avenue, residence of Cornelius Vanderbilt