Naworth Castle in Cumbria near Brampton.It was the seat of the Barons Dacre & their descendants.Currently occupied by Philip Howard,brother/heir presumptive of the 13th Earl of Carlisle.The castle is thought to have late 13th-century origins,in the form of a square keep and bailey.It was first mentioned in 1323.In 1335 a licence to crenellate was granted to Ralph Dacre.Residential quarters were added in the 16th century by Thomas,Lord Dacre.The Castle has a well-preserved priest hole.
Naworth Castle,blt,1335,in the reign of Edward III.There was a castle on the present site early as1270.It was extended by the Dacre family who grew increasingly powerful by each generation marrying wealthy heiresses.1513;Thomas,Lord Dacre played an important role@the battle of Flodden,where the English,under Earl of Surrey inflicted a defeat on the Scottish nation.Thomas Dacre was awarded lands around Lanercost/that wealth was able to extend Naworth.He built the whole of the south wings.
Morpeth Castle. Photo John Barnes. Margaret Tudor spent Christmas here in 1515, en route to London. Her hosts were Henry le Scrope, 7th Lord Scrope of Bolton (c1480 - and his second wife, Mabel Dacre, daughter of Sir Thomas Dacre, 2nd Lord Dacre (of Gilsland) and Elizabeth Greystoke, Baroness Greystoke. He died circa December 1533.