The Roanoke Colony on Roanoke Island in present-day North Carolina was a late 16th-century attempt to establish a permanent English settlement in what later became the Virginia Colony. The final group of colonists disappeared during the Anglo-Spanish War, three years after the last shipment of supplies from England. The settlement is known as "The Lost Colony," and the fate of the colonists has never been determined.
The Cherokee believe the ancient settlement of Kituwa (also spelled Kituwah, Keetoowah, Kittowa, and other similar variations) or giduwa (Cherokee:ᎩᏚᏩ), on the Tuckasegee River is their original settlement and is one of the "seven mother towns" in the Southeast. It is in Swain County, North Carolina, in the Great Smoky Mountains, near present-day Bryson City.
Article -- A new look at a 425-year-old map has yielded a tantalizing clue about the fate of the Lost Colony, the settlers who disappeared from North Carolina's Roanoke Island in the late 16th century.
On back of photo: Sept. 25, 1925 -- "To Uncle John from Edna Earl Gaston.” A later annotation indicates that “Uncle John” was John Clark, a “founder and Senior Warden of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church and an organizer of their parochial school for blacks. Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina postcards in the North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill