Categories
Log in
There's more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what's here!
Visit Site
Lark Kephart
Lark Kephart • 1 year ago

"The Bewcastle Cross is an Anglo-Saxon cross which is still in its original position within the churchyard of St Cuthbert's church at Bewcastle, in the English county of Cumbria. The cross, which probably dates from the 7th or early 8th century, features reliefs and inscriptions in the runic alphabet. The head of the cross is missing but the remains are 14.5 feet (4.4 metres) high, and almost square in section (56 x 54 cm at the base). "

Related Pins

A 7th century Anglo Saxon cross in the churchyard at Eyam in the Peaks District.

A famous spot in France, St Etienne abandoned church…

The Chapel of St Peter on the Wall, Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex, England. The Chapel is a Grade I listed building and among the oldest largely intact Christian church buildings in England still in regular use, dating from the 7th century. The Chapel is assumed to be that of "Ythanceaster" (Bede, Historia Ecclesiastica 3.22), originally constructed as an Anglo-Celtic Church for the East Saxons in AD 654 by St Cedd, astride the ruins of the abandoned Roman fort of Othona.

St John Baptist Church Royston Barnsley Yorkshire

The church of St. Hydroc - Lanhydrock | Cornwall

A famous spot in France, St Etienne abandoned church

St. Mary church & cemetery, Barnard castle, England. Oldest part from 12-13th c.

The Ruthwell Cross is a stone Anglo-Saxon cross probably dating from the 8th century,[1] when Ruthwell was part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Northumbria; it is now in Scotland.

Church of St. Casimir’s, Krakow, Poland...

St. Dunstan-in-the-East was a Church of England parish church halfway between London Bridge and the Tower of London. There has been a church on this site since approximately 1100. The church was destroyed in 1941 during the London Blitz of WW2. The scarred and blackened walls of the old church remain and now surround a tranquil area designated as a peace garden. Very cool!

Anglo-Saxon cross shaft at Masham church, North Yorkshire.