Categories
Log in
There’s more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what’s here!
Visit Site

10 Famous Authors Who Are Also Actually Decent Human Beings

Authors, and artists in general, are notoriously difficult to deal with. The list of writers who created masterworks that illuminated truths about the human condition – all while behaving badly toward others in their actual lives -- is a long o...
PoemHunter.com
PoemHunter.com • 1 year ago

10 Famous Authors Who Remind Us That Great Writers Can Also Be Decent Human Beings

Related Pins

Neil Gaiman will be re-releasing some of his rarer comic book work & for every download (the work will initially be free), 50 cents will be donated to the charity Malaria No More. Although he charges speaking fees for events, he donates the money to good causes. Gaiman noted, "When I get money like this, I put it back out again. In this case, 25% of what I get goes to a social/abuse charity, & the other 75% goes to an author/literature/library-related charity program."

John Green volunteered as a student chaplain in a children's hospital interacting with terminally-ill children.Green's friendship with a girl fighting terminal cancer helped him write "The Fault in our Stars" & dedicated it to her "humor & empathy & charisma & intelligence ...found a way into the story." He always makes videos for his fans the Nerdfighters. He created Project for Awesome. YouTube users uploaded videos promoting charities & non-profits raising $483,446.

10 Famous Authors Who Remind Us That Great Writers Can Also Be Decent Human Beings ~ First off, Margaret Atwood will retweet pretty much anything you ask her to on Twitter, to her over 400,000 followers. That's pretty nice. She is known for being a feminist (many of her female protagonists are strong women who are oppressed by the patriarchy). Atwood is also an environmental activist, and her book, "The Year of the Flood," promotes environmental awareness.

Judy Blume created a safe space for girls to talk about being girls--from masturbation & menstruation to loss of virginity & any other topic. She joined a fight against an attempted ban on Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" writing a piece on censorship: "But it's not just the books under fire now that worry me. It is the books that will never be written. The books that will never be read. And all due to the fear of censorship. As always, young readers will be the real losers."