The Avro Lancaster was a British four-engined Second World War heavy bomber designed and built by Avro for the Royal Air Force. It first saw active service with RAF Bomber Command in 1942 and, as the strategic bombing offensive over Europe gathered momentum, it became the main heavy bomber used by the RAF and squadrons from other Commonwealth and European countries serving within the RAF. The "Lanc", as it was affectionately known, delivered 608,612 tons of bombs in 156,000 sorties.
Sussex, England. c. 1944-08. Australian war artist, Dennis Adams paints a typically australian design on the fuselage of the Mosquito aircraft flown by 404891 Wing Commander G. Panitz DFC, Southport, QLD, commanding officer of No. 464 (Mosquito)squadron RAAF with the second tactical air force at RAF station Thorney Island.