Dr Campbell's SAFE Arsenic Complexion Wafers. Many who took the cosmetic cure were under the false impression that if a little was good, a lot was better, leading to reported cases of young women going blind or dying by overdosing on the wafers. Arsenic was at it’s height of popularity from the late 1880s to early 1900s, although, advertisements could still be found as late as the 1920s, and in the US, arsenic was only finally banned from cosmetic use in 1938.
Also on these boards
A Street Doctor...Real life of Victorian London, c 1876, Taken by Photographer John Thompson & writer Adolphe Smith..
Pre-mortem photo? Another Victorian habit: Your child contracts a fever, or you have reason to think an injury or illness may lead to death, you whisk the child off to a photographer. Yep, it happened and they were called Pre-mortem photos. Why suppose that is the case here? The inscription on the back of this tintype has the age and date of death. 3 years old. Which is what she looks like in this photo.