Categories
Log in
There’s more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what’s here!
Visit Site
Pamela Stewart
Pamela Stewart • 1 year ago

The 65-room Iron Springs Hotel in Manitou Springs was the first in the region to have electric lights when its own water-powered turbine became operational in 1885. In 1884, the LAW began promoting bicycle tourism with discounts for cyclists at rural inns that participated in LAW advertising programs. Country roadhouses that lost business as railroads replaced stagecoaches catered to weekend bicycle tourists and the new business of recreational tourism filled the economic void.

Related Pins

Two boys, a dog and a bicycle in edwardian era

Helen Hunt Jackson riding her bicycle past the statue of General Palmer in downtown Colorado Springs.

Hammersmith Bridge-London 1900

Jefferson Coates, who lost both eyes at Gettysburg and was awarded the Medal of Honor ca 1870

Western Flyer Bicycle from a Western Auto ad in Life Magazine 1959

a bicycle built for 4

General William Jackson Palmer business partner, British investor Dr. William A. Bell, founded Manitou Springs in 1872, envisioning a village of villas and landscaped grounds.

Bicycle basket store

A family day out cycling by the Thames, Windsor, 1950.