Also on these boards
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Interior view of an ice cream parlor located on Maclay Avenue between 1st and 2nd Streets in San Fernando, Calif. Nathaniel Pico (son of Benjamine and Anna Forrester Pico) and Eugene Oliver are visible behind the counter. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library
View of Commerce Street in Tujunga, circa 1950. Commerce Street is located at the foothills of the northern rim of the San Fernando Valley. Caption on the verso reads, "It is considered one of the most healthful spots in the country." San Fernando Valley Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Miguel Leonis, circa 1870s. Leonis was born in Cambo in the French Pyrenees in 1824. As one of the most colorful of the early land settlers and pioneers the San Fernando Valley, he became known as "The King of Calabasas." Leonis came to the Valley in 1858 and by the late 1800's he controlled and ruled much of the west end of the San Fernando Valley. Leonis Adobe Museum and Plummer House. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Group portrait of a class at the Lopez Station School in Granada Hills, circa 1883. The school was run by Geronimo and Catalina Lopez and was the first English speaking school in the Valley. The school closed in 1884. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Winter wonderland in Chatsworth, January 1949. Snow is unusual in the San Fernando Valley, although old-timers say it was more common before all the development after the 1920's and 1930's. Chatsworth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.