Categories
Log in
There’s more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what’s here!
Image
Oviatt Library
Oviatt Library • 48 weeks ago

View of people on a horse-drawn wagon, dressed period garb for a "Pioneer picnic" in the San Fernando Valley, 1948. From left to right: Mrs. Lynn Wilcox, I. E. Ijams, Mrs. Alfred Prince, Mr. Fred Weddington, Frances Muir Pomeroy, Bessie Westerfield. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Related Pins

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Program for the 29th Annual Meeting of the San Fernando Valley Council, Boy Scouts of America, held Monday evening, October 27, 1952, at Devonshire Downs. Senator Thomas C. Carrell Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

San Fernando Valley: The Hand that Feeds LA, circa 1920s :: San Fernando Valley History

Native Americans posing at San Fernando Mission, circa 1880. Photo credit: Title Insurance and Trust Company. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Map from the San Fernando Land and Water Company, advertising 20,000 acres of land for sale in the San Fernando Valley, circa 1880s. The land was sold at $150 an acre. The former owner of the land was California State Senator Charles Maclay who donated $150,000 to endow the College of Theology of the University of Southern California. MultiCultural Music and Art Foundation of Northridge. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Cover of the book "One Acre and Independence" by the Charles Weeks System, circa 1927. Charles Weeks' face is superimposed on to the figure holding eggs baskets walking aside a chicken coop. In 1920, the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce requested that Weeks come to the San Fernando Valley to establish a series of one-acre egg farms. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Front page of the Girard News, Saturday December 27, 1924. Girard was later renamed Woodland Hills. The paper served the communities of San Fernando, Van Nuys, Lankershim, Reseda, Owensmouth, Chatsworth, Rio Vista, Villa Vista, Pacoima, Zelzah, Weeks Colony, and other areas. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.