Categories
Log in
There’s more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what’s here!
Visit Site
Oviatt Library
Oviatt Library • 42 weeks ago

The lighting of a menorah for the Hanukkah celebration at Rodef Sholom Temple in Van Nuys, 1964. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Related Pins

A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

San Fernando Valley: The Hand that Feeds LA, circa 1920s :: San Fernando Valley History

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Great San Fernando Valley history here...

Front page of the Girard News, Saturday December 27, 1924. Girard was later renamed Woodland Hills. The paper served the communities of San Fernando, Van Nuys, Lankershim, Reseda, Owensmouth, Chatsworth, Rio Vista, Villa Vista, Pacoima, Zelzah, Weeks Colony, and other areas. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Looking north towards what is now Chatsworth Street and Sepulveda Boulevard. In the distance, the San Fernando Mission is visible, surrounded by open land. circa 1920. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Miguel Leonis, circa 1870s. Leonis was born in Cambo in the French Pyrenees in 1824. As one of the most colorful of the early land settlers and pioneers the San Fernando Valley, he became known as "The King of Calabasas." Leonis came to the Valley in 1858 and by the late 1800's he controlled and ruled much of the west end of the San Fernando Valley. Leonis Adobe Museum and Plummer House. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.