Front page of the Girard News, Saturday December 27, 1924. Girard was later renamed Woodland Hills. The paper served the communities of San Fernando, Van Nuys, Lankershim, Reseda, Owensmouth, Chatsworth, Rio Vista, Villa Vista, Pacoima, Zelzah, Weeks Colony, and other areas. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Espiritu Chijulla Leonis, circa 1900. Espiritu was married to Miguel Leonis. Their wedding gift from Espiritu's family included 1100 acres of land in Calabasas as well as cattle, sheep and horses. Espiritu lived at Leonis Adobe until her death in 1906 and was buried at the San Fernando Mission. Leonis Adobe Museum and Plummer House. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Miguel Leonis, circa 1870s. Leonis was born in Cambo in the French Pyrenees in 1824. As one of the most colorful of the early land settlers and pioneers the San Fernando Valley, he became known as "The King of Calabasas." Leonis came to the Valley in 1858 and by the late 1800's he controlled and ruled much of the west end of the San Fernando Valley. Leonis Adobe Museum and Plummer House. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Looking north towards what is now Chatsworth Street and Sepulveda Boulevard. In the distance, the San Fernando Mission is visible, surrounded by open land. circa 1920. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.