In 1948, President Harry S. Truman stopped at the Southern Pacific train depot in Glendale to give a five minuite campaign speech. Next to Truman (from right to left) are James Roosevelt, Everett G. Burkhalter (former state assemblymen), Richard R. Rogan (chairman of the welcoming committee), and Floyd J. Jolley (Glendale city councilman). Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Looking north towards what is now Chatsworth Street and Sepulveda Boulevard. In the distance, the San Fernando Mission is visible, surrounded by open land. circa 1920. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
John Steven McGroarty and Marie Walsh at the San Fernando Mission Sept. 8, 1931. McGroarty had a distinguished career as the first mayor of Tujunga, a California State Senator, California Poet Laureate and a playwright, journalist and author. Marie Walsh Harrington was the wife of Dr. Mark Harrington. Harrington was the director of the Southwest Museum and restored the Andres Pico Adobe. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library