Cover of Intensive Little Farms brochure. In 1920, the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce requested that Charles Weeks come to the San Fernando Valley to establish a series of one-acre egg farms. The "poultry colony" Weeks created in the Winnetka area eventually developed into a small farming community, which actively engaged in uplifting the spirit of its members, and aided in the social, intellectual and artistic enlightenment of the region. Charles Weeks Collection.
San Fernando Valley Industrial Catalog: A Guide to San Fernando Valley Products and Services, published by the San Fernando Valley Small Plants Association in Van Nuys, 1959. Full page advertisement for Manpower, Inc., a temporary help service, in Sherman Oaks. San Fernando Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Miguel Leonis, circa 1870s. Leonis was born in Cambo in the French Pyrenees in 1824. As one of the most colorful of the early land settlers and pioneers the San Fernando Valley, he became known as "The King of Calabasas." Leonis came to the Valley in 1858 and by the late 1800's he controlled and ruled much of the west end of the San Fernando Valley. Leonis Adobe Museum and Plummer House. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Image from Charles Weeks' publication, One Acre and Independence, circa 1927. This image shows 320 foot poultry house for 2500 hens on one acre. In 1920, the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce requested that Charles Weeks come to the San Fernando Valley to establish a series of one-acre egg farms. The farms would be based on the successful formula Mr. Weeks developed in Palo Alto, California. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Front page of the Girard News, Saturday December 27, 1924. Girard was later renamed Woodland Hills. The paper served the communities of San Fernando, Van Nuys, Lankershim, Reseda, Owensmouth, Chatsworth, Rio Vista, Villa Vista, Pacoima, Zelzah, Weeks Colony, and other areas. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.