Categories
Log in
There's more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what's here!
Visit Site
Oviatt Library
Oviatt Library • 21 weeks ago

James Jeffries Description James Jeffries resting against his barn. In 1899, James Jeffries was the Heavyweight Champion of the World. Following retirement, Jeffries converted a barn into an an academy to train future boxers. Burbank Historical Society. San fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Related Pins

A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Program for the 29th Annual Meeting of the San Fernando Valley Council, Boy Scouts of America, held Monday evening, October 27, 1952, at Devonshire Downs. Senator Thomas C. Carrell Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Women workers at the Hinkley Beach Canning Company in Burbank, which was located west of the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks, 1919. The company was eventually sold to Libby. Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Esquire Cleaners at 7125 Foothill Blvd. in Tujunga, California, circa 1960s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group portrait of a class at the Lopez Station School in Granada Hills, circa 1883. The school was run by Geronimo and Catalina Lopez and was the first English speaking school in the Valley. The school closed in 1884. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Front page of the Girard News, Saturday December 27, 1924. Girard was later renamed Woodland Hills. The paper served the communities of San Fernando, Van Nuys, Lankershim, Reseda, Owensmouth, Chatsworth, Rio Vista, Villa Vista, Pacoima, Zelzah, Weeks Colony, and other areas. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.

Policewoman Mary Muir and Chief Walter Heebing demonstrating the San Fernando Police Department's new teletype machine, that linked the Police Department directly to Los Angeles sheriff's office for the first time, 1949. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.