Categories

Come on in! Join Pinterest today...it only takes like a second or so.

More like this: history, libraries and portraits.
Visit Site
Oviatt Library
Oviatt Library • 20 weeks ago

Group portrait of a class at the Lopez Station School in Granada Hills, circa 1883. The school was run by Geronimo and Catalina Lopez and was the first English speaking school in the Valley. The school closed in 1884. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Related Pins

Historical Map of the San Fernando Valley (right side) :: San Fernando Valley History

A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Winter wonderland in Chatsworth, January 1949. Snow is unusual in the San Fernando Valley, although old-timers say it was more common before all the development after the 1920's and 1930's. Chatsworth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

San Fernando Valley: The Hand that Feeds LA, circa 1920s :: San Fernando Valley History

View of San Fernando Valley from Summit, Topanga, circa 1937 postcard :: San Fernando Valley History. - Wow! have to find the location of my house from the 1958-1995.

Esquire Cleaners at 7125 Foothill Blvd. in Tujunga, California, circa 1960s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group of men and women dressed in western wear for what may be the Canoga Park Cavalcade, circa 1940s. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Miguel Leonis, circa 1870s. Leonis was born in Cambo in the French Pyrenees in 1824. As one of the most colorful of the early land settlers and pioneers the San Fernando Valley, he became known as "The King of Calabasas." Leonis came to the Valley in 1858 and by the late 1800's he controlled and ruled much of the west end of the San Fernando Valley. Leonis Adobe Museum and Plummer House. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Mechanics at work at Rocketdyne in Canoga Park, circa 1960. A related press release explains that the mechanics are making "the final adjustments on an engine which will be used in the U.S. Army Jupiter intermediate range ballistic missile. The Jupiter IRBM will be deployed in operational use by units of the Strategic Air Command." San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Front page of the Girard News, Saturday December 27, 1924. Girard was later renamed Woodland Hills. The paper served the communities of San Fernando, Van Nuys, Lankershim, Reseda, Owensmouth, Chatsworth, Rio Vista, Villa Vista, Pacoima, Zelzah, Weeks Colony, and other areas. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.