Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a Plan-It Insulated-Metal Framed Structures brochure, circa 1950s. Plan-It Homes, located in Sherman Oaks, designed pre-fabricated metal framed buildings. The brochure explains Plan-It structures are: "designed and engineered for the ultimate in fast, simple construction under all conditions, adaptability, and low maintenance . . ." Brochure also claims that unskilled workers could easily erect a Plan-It structure in a matter of hours. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
John Steven McGroarty and Marie Walsh at the San Fernando Mission Sept. 8, 1931. McGroarty had a distinguished career as the first mayor of Tujunga, a California State Senator, California Poet Laureate and a playwright, journalist and author. Marie Walsh Harrington was the wife of Dr. Mark Harrington. Harrington was the director of the Southwest Museum and restored the Andres Pico Adobe. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library
President Gerald Ford visits Glendale in 1976 to help give the "Annual Days of Verdugo Festival" an impressive send-off, 1976. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Espiritu Chijulla Leonis, circa 1900. Espiritu was married to Miguel Leonis. Their wedding gift from Espiritu's family included 1100 acres of land in Calabasas as well as cattle, sheep and horses. Espiritu lived at Leonis Adobe until her death in 1906 and was buried at the San Fernando Mission. Leonis Adobe Museum and Plummer House. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
This water tank built by T. W. (Bill) Kneen in the shape of a milk bottle was built in the 1930's out of masonry. Located at Red Rock Road, Old Topanga Canyon. Photographer: A. Les Haines. Topanga Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.