Categories
Log in
There’s more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what’s here!
Visit Site
Oviatt Library
Oviatt Library • 19 weeks ago

Canoga Citrus Association employees, circa 1935-1945. In 1907, R.C. Brandon of the Lord & Thomas advertising agency suggested the brand name "Sunkissed" be used for the citrus fruit grown for the California Fruit Growers Exchange. It was changed to "Sunkist" shortly after and widely adopted by local citrus growers. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Related Pins

A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group of men and women dressed in western wear for what may be the Canoga Park Cavalcade, circa 1940s. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Esquire Cleaners at 7125 Foothill Blvd. in Tujunga, California, circa 1960s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Interior view of the Andrew Jergens Company soap factory located at Verdugo Avenue and the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks, circa 1920s. In 1882, Jergens began with a single product, coconut oil soap, specially formulated to perform in hard water. Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group portrait of a class at the Lopez Station School in Granada Hills, circa 1883. The school was run by Geronimo and Catalina Lopez and was the first English speaking school in the Valley. The school closed in 1884. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.