Antonio Regalado Calvo (1900-1973) and Maria de la Luz Mendez Calvo (1896-1982) were immigrants from Sonora, Mexico. They married in 1926 and started their own business selling Mexican food to workers in local packing houses. As the business grew, Antonio and Luz were eventually able to open a small restaurant, Las Delicias Café, which moved permanently to 1118 Pico Street in downtown San Fernando in 1946. Antonio and Luz (Mendez) Calvo Family Collection.
Also on these boards
Mexican cultural dance :: Irwin Nash Images of Migrant Labor Digital Collection
Cinco de Mayo History 8,000 French soldiers vs 4,000 Mexican army at the Battle of Puebla
"Rosita Adelita"by Robert Valadez. The aritst chose to combine Rosie the Riveter with La Adelita, a fictional character from the Mexican Revolution because he says both are feminist archetypes that speak to the empowerment of women. The message Valadez wants to portray to the community through “Rosita Adelita” is Latina female empowerment and pride.
This is a really interesting article about the history of Cinco de Mayo celebrations in the US and their origins.
The Weeping Woman by David Blancas MEXICAN LEGEND Children are warned not to go out in the dark, for, La Llorona might snatch them and never return them. www.literacynet.o...
Mexican singer and actor Jorge Negrete, 1911 - 1953
mijajaja: This is Casa Aztlan, Pilsen, Chicago The resistance begins in the barrio.“Casa Aztlan is located in a building that originally housed the Bohemian settlement house founded in 1896. In 1905 the building became the Howell Neighborhood House and then the Neighborhood Service Organization. In the early 1970’s, Middle European immigrants began leaving Pilsen while Mexican immigrants began to arrive in greater numbers. In 1970 through the leadership of the Brown Berets the organization bec
The famous old Casa Verdugo restaurant in 1910, "out Glendale Way." Today it’s just a house, albeit a charming house on an innocuous street in the innocuous L.A. bedroom community of Glendale. These days, passersby might not even give it a second glance, but in the first years of the 20th Century this little house was one of the most famous restaurants in the West, a mecca for visitors from around the world - It was the renowned Casa Verdugo, an eatery par excellence from days long since past.