Categories
Log in
There’s more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what’s here!
Visit Site
Oviatt Library
Oviatt Library • 18 weeks ago

Two images of the intersection of Van Nuys Boulevard and Sylvan Street, illustrating the growth of the city. The top image is dated February 22, 1911. The bottom image, dated July 18, 1934, shows Van Nuys City Hall, also known as the Valley Municipal Building in the background. It was built in 1932. Los Angeles Valley College Historical Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Related Pins

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group portrait of a class at the Lopez Station School in Granada Hills, circa 1883. The school was run by Geronimo and Catalina Lopez and was the first English speaking school in the Valley. The school closed in 1884. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Historical Map of the San Fernando Valley (right side) :: San Fernando Valley History

Cartoon illustrating the closure of Lockheed's Van Nuys plant by the US Government. Original art appeared in The American Aeronaut, March 4, 1964. International Association of Machinists Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.