Categories
Log in
There’s more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what’s here!
Visit Site
Oviatt Library
Oviatt Library • 15 weeks ago

This is the work party to drill the well for the Community House in Topanga, California, 1952. On the fender is Dickey Alley, and on the hood, next to the windshield is Diane Molloy, Judy Alley is next to her on the hood. Also pictured are Meg, Ray and Doug Alley. Ray Alley and Frank Molloy owned Topanga Drilling Company. Topanga Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library

Related Pins

Pamphlet for a campaign against a proposition for Water District 29A encompassing Topanga Canyon and Malibu, circa 1956. Originally delivered to box holders in Topanga and Malibu. Created by the Water Committee of the Topanga Businessmen's Association, the Malibu Minute Men, and Citizens Dedicated to the Betterment of their Community. Topanga Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Cover of a program from the Chatsworth Methodist Church's "Pioneer Jubilee" March 9, 1958 celebrations. The church's appointment of the first pastor was 1888. The Jubilee celebration marked the church's 70th year in existence. The church building that held the celebration was built in 1903 and was located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Chatsworth United Methodist Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group portrait of a class at the Lopez Station School in Granada Hills, circa 1883. The school was run by Geronimo and Catalina Lopez and was the first English speaking school in the Valley. The school closed in 1884. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.