Categories
Log in
There’s so much more to discover
Visit Site
Oviatt Library
Oviatt Library • 5 weeks ago

An old time camp outfit near Ventura Boulevard and Valley Circle Boulevard, circa 1900. Leonis Adobe is in the background. On the El Camino Real sign it says, "83.9 Santa Barbara, 18 Newberry Park, 47.9 Ventura, Los Angeles 26.1, Encino 8, Hollywood 19.6, San Fernando Mission 14. The El Camino Real bells were placed along the mission routes. " West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Related Pins

San Fernando Homestead Association Map of San Fernando Valley. This map was reproduced from several original maps which are filed in the Los Angeles County Clerk's office by the Santa Clarita National Bank. It originates from an 1871 survey. It reads, "Plat of the Ex-Mission de San Fernando." Compiled October, 1989. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Policewoman Mary Muir and Chief Walter Heebing demonstrating the San Fernando Police Department's new teletype machine, that linked the Police Department directly to Los Angeles sheriff's office for the first time, 1949. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Greetings From San Fernando Valley California 1950s

Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.

Cover of the book "One Acre and Independence" by the Charles Weeks System, circa 1927. Charles Weeks' face is superimposed on to the figure holding eggs baskets walking aside a chicken coop. In 1920, the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce requested that Weeks come to the San Fernando Valley to establish a series of one-acre egg farms. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Cover of the Miner's Road Map of Southern California, published by Pacific Publishing Co., 120 North Main Street, Los Angeles, Calif., 1899. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of L. C. Brand, circa 1910. Brand came to California in 1886 and started the Los Angeles Abstract Company with Edwin Sargent. He and Henry E. Huntington formed the San Fernando Valley Land and Development Company. Brand was president of the Los Angeles and Glendale Railroad Company which provided connections from Los Angeles to Glendale with extensions to Burbank, Pasadena, and Griffith Park. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The San Fernando Power House in Sylmar, under construction in 1917. It was owned by the Los Angeles Bureau of Power and Light. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.