"This King Richard was praiseworthy for his building, as at Westminster, Warwick, York, and Middleham, and many other places, which can be viewed. He founded a noble chantry in the Cathedral of York, and another at Middleham. He endowed the Queen's College at Cambridge with 500 marks annual rent. The money which was offered him by the peoples of London, Gloucester, and Worcester he declined with thanks, affirming that he would rather have their love than their treasure". - John Rous, 1486
The thistle and the rose - Detail from the Treaty of Perpetual Peace (1502) between England and Scotland which was cemented by the marriage of James IV of Scotland to Princess Margaret, Henry VII’s daughter. The borders of this document illustrate the thistle (James’ emblem), the Tudor rose and the marguerete representing Margaret.
Margaret of Austria Jean Hey (called Master of Moulins) (Netherlandish, active fourth quarter 15th century) Date: ca. 1490 Culture: Netherlandish Medium: Oil on oak panel Dimensions: 12 7/8 x 9 1/8 in. (32.7 x 23 cm) Classification: Paintings Credit Line: Robert Lehman Collection, 1975 Accession Number: 1975.1.130