Categories
Log in
There's more to see...
Sign up to see the rest of what's here!
Visit Site
Danny L.
Danny L. • 1 year ago

The Holy Spear of Destiny, Echmiadzin Lance. In 1655, the French traveler Jean-Baptiste Tavernier was the 1st Westerner to see this relic in Armenia. In 1805, the Russians captured the monastery and the relic was moved to Tchitchanov Geghard, Tbilisi, Georgia. It was later returned to Armenia at Echmiadzin, where it is always visible and enshrined in a 17th century reliquary Rather, it is the point of a sigillum, perhaps Byzantine, with a diamond-shaped iron openwork Greek cross.

Related Pins

Armenia

Khatchkars (Stone Crosses) in Noravank Church, Armenia

Khachkars decorated with crosses, and in the form of small pyramids, Noraduz, Armenia

Kars Ancient Armenia

Reliquary Cross - Marches, Italy - 14th century

Cross-reliquary of the True Cross and its case - detail - France 13c-early 14c. (via By Kotomicreations Kotomi Yamamura on Flickr)