Also on these boards
Bryan House - The earliest available record, the Frenchman's Map of 1782 points to a rectangular house facing the Duke of Gloucester Street on the north east corner of the lot & a smaller house directly behind it & at some distance from it. It can then be asserted with much assurance that a dwelling house & one out house were located in this lot in the early 1780's. The first known owner of the lot & buildings was William Bryan, husband of Frances & father of Julian Bryan.
Palace green was intended to focus the eye as well as the mind on the source of executive authority in Virginia and to provide the stately official residence at its head with an unimpeded vista to the heart of the community and beyond. In its progress from the College of William and Mary, Duke of Gloucester Street slips past the foot of the green at Bruton Parish Church and moves on to the Capitol.
The deep red Peyton Randolph House is one of the oldest, most historic, and without doubt most beautiful of Colonial Williamsburg's original 18th-century homes. The west wing of the impressive house has stood at the corner of Nicholson and North England Streets since about 1715. Among the historic figures that took shelter in the house were General Rochambeau and the Marquis de Lafayette.