Categories

Come on in! Join Pinterest today...it only takes like a second or so.

2014 GSA Design Awards

GSA and its private-sector partners honored 20 federal buildings that represent the agency’s best in recent design and architecture projects. The GSA Design Awards are the hallmark of the agency’s Design Excellence program.

19 Pins

The IRS Enterprise Computing Center in Kearneysville, West Virginia, recently underwent conversion to a static uninterruptible power supply. The project required constructing a replacement utility plant without disrupting service to the center’s 24-hour-a-day operations. Photo Credit: Alfred Wekelo

Once a warehouse for paper documents, the 390,000-square-foot Federal Office Building in Andover, Massachusetts, has been transformed into an office for accounts management, compliance services, and support. The building interior now boasts clear interior organization, space for workplace interaction, and dramatically improved energy performance. Photo Credit: David Lena

Toledo, Ohio established a civic center mall in its downtown in 1924. The proposed United States Courthouse anchors the northern edge of the mall, in an historically appropriate scale, while reinterpreting courthouse architecture: A mounded roof and glass atrium substitute the classic dome and portico, and the curtain wall’s curved panels suggest fluting on a column.

The Wayne N. Aspinall Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in Grand Junction, Colorado, was constructed in 1918 by the Treasury Department under James A. Wetmore. Today the landmark is poised to be GSA’s first net-zero-energy building. Modernization of the 3-story facility prioritized environmental performance and historic integrity equally. Photo Credit: ©Kevin G. Reeves Photographer

The United States Courthouse Annex in downtown San Diego expands facilities for the Edward J. Schwartz Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse. In addition to producing the 467,000-square-foot annex, the project developed the plaza between old and new courthouses; this outdoor space includes the Robert Irwin sculpture Hedge Wedge. Photo Credit: ©Tim Griffith

Measuring 33,400 square feet and overlooking Mill Creek Park in downtown Bakersfield, California, the United States Courthouse in Bakersfield embodies the minimalist materials and indoor-outdoor dialogue of California modernism. Photo Credit: Frank Ooms

The John M. Roll United States Courthouse is a new courthouse located in downtown Yuma, Arizona, that reinvents traditional elements of courthouse architecture. Its 10,000-square-foot canopy resembles historic ramada structures instead of a portico, for example, and its embedded photovoltaics generate 21 percent of the building’s electricity.

The 40-year-old Minton-Capehart Federal Building lines part of Veterans Memorial Plaza in downtown Indianapolis. As part of the original design, Milton Glaser wrapped the building’s 672-foot-long arcade level in the mural Color Fuses. Modernization of the federal building included restoration of Color Fuses, with Glaser’s participation. Photo Credit: James Steinkamp Photography

Modernization of the Dr. A.H. McCoy Federal Building in downtown Jackson, Mississippi, offered the opportunity to reinvent its broad plaza, which had discouraged public use. A new, 3,000-square-foot security pavilion reaches into the public space; its organic shape is an inviting contrast to the 1979 office building’s angular geometry. Photo Credit: © Alan Karchmer

50 United Nations Plaza Federal Building is a major component of the San Francisco Civic Center. Seismic upgrade permitted the 1936 building’s first major modernization, which yielded dramatic improvements in environmental performance and workplace design. Photo Credit: Blake Marvin, HKS Inc.

11 West Quincy Court is a complete modernization of the Bond Department Store, which opened in downtown Chicago in 1948. Today the mixed-use building is integrated into the adjacent Chicago Federal Center campus, and takes aesthetic cues from Sol LeWitt’s Lines in Four Directions, a public sculpture mounted to the former department store’s west face. Photo Credit: Christopher Barrett

Federal Center South Building 1202 is the new regional headquarters of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Northwest District. Located in a historically industrial neighborhood in Seattle, the project redeveloped a brownfield site into a 209,000-square-foot oxbow-shaped building featuring diverse interiors, a series of collaborative spaces and nearly 300,000 board feet of structural timber and wood decking that was salvaged from the adjacent decommissioned warehouse. Photo Credit: Benjamin Benschneider

Federal Center South

foursquare.com

The 37-story, 611,000-square-foot Thurgood Marshall U.S. Courthouse has operated continuously as the seat of the U.S. District Court Southern District of New York and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit since 1936. Its first-ever comprehensive renovation improves all buildings systems while conserving or replicating the historic architecture. Photo Credit: Timothy Schenck

Located immediately next to Republic Square Park, the United States Courthouse in downtown Austin houses 252,000 square feet of judicial functions in an efficient interior made up of interlocking volumes. The building’s public amenities include a new plaza that extends the park, and the monumental Clifford Ross lobby artwork entitled The Austin Wall.

US Federal Courthouse

foursquare.com

Over eight years, the Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Office Building—the 1888 State, War, and Navy Building that today housing administrators of the Executive Office of the President—was completely modernized without disturbing full operations. The iconic 692,000-square-foot structure’s Second Empire–style architecture is restored and preserved.

Eisenhower Executive Office Building

foursquare.com

Jacob K. Javits Federal Building Plaza tops the parking structure of 26 Federal Plaza in Lower Manhattan. As part of waterproofing improvements to the garage, the acre of public space was redeveloped. Four planted areas, as well as outdoor furniture designed to accommodate socializing and outdoor work, accent the marble-and-granite hardscape. Photo Credit: Alex MacLean

Jacob K Javits Federal Building

foursquare.com

Edith Green-Wendell Wyatt Federal Building is an 18-story, 525,000-square-foot tower in downtown Portland, Oregon, that opened in 1974. Thanks to a complete, high-performance modernization the 39-year-old facility is now a high-performing green building with solar thermal panels that will provide for 30% of the building's domestic hot water and a 13,000 square foot solar roof that will produce 3% of the building's electrical energy requirements annually. Photo Credit: Jeremy Bittermann

Edith Green-Wendell Wyatt Federal Building

foursquare.com

The new Peace Arch Land Port of Entry, located at the busy border crossing in Blaine, Washington, includes 10 primary-inspection lanes—approximately double the capacity of the 1976 facility it replaces. Design of this new building and its corresponding infrastructure minimizes visual impact on the coastal landscape. Photo: © 2012 Benjamin Benschneider

Peace Arch Border Crossing

foursquare.com

The U.S. Land Port of Entry in Van Buren, Maine, replaces a land port damaged by historic flooding in 2008. The 44,000-square-foot features a layout that maximizes visibility for border officers, and an aluminum-and-glass building skin that blends with local forests. Design of the surrounding landscape considers stormwater management extensively. Photo Credit: Paul Crosby

Land Port of Entry

foursquare.com