Carters Grove & Other James River Plantations.
Smith's Fort Plantation received its name because it was the location of Captain John Smith's "New Fort," built in 1609, located directly across the James River from the Jamestown colony. The same land was later given by Chief Powhatan to John Rolfe as a dowry for the hand of Pocahontas when Rolfe and Pocahontas married. The main house was restored/built by Jacob Faulcon in 1751.
Smith's Fort Plantation
Another beautiful Plantation on the James River. Taps was written here during the Civil War. Met the son of the drummer boy that bought and restored this house on our 1st visit in the mid 80's. He was in his 90's and working around the grounds.
Tuckahoe A National Historic Landmark and on the Virginia Landmarks Register. A colonial plantation that stands on a bluff above the upper James River. It is a H-shaped house that retains it's early masonry, woodwork, siding and sash. It is perhaps Virginia's most complete and least altered early plantation.
Discover Historic Belmead Situated atop a hill overlooking hundreds of acres of rolling pastures, wooded knolls and the winding James River, sits the majestic Belmead mansion. Constructed in the 1850's as the manor house for the plantations owned by Philip St. George Cocke, it is a architectural masterpiece whose asthetic beauty is matched by the history that surrounds the mansion and its accompanying estate.
View from our deck, river across the lawn, and ocean only steps away.. great vacation location.. 11C St. James Park, Kingston Plantation
1703 Plantation House - A rare, fine example of post-in-ground architecture. James Bowles first built a two-room house with a loft, adding a third room by 1715. By c. 1780, George Plater III had enlarged the house to include a half-story second floor, dining room, and a large, ornate drawing room and entryway. During the 19th-century, Dr. Walter Hanson Stone Briscoe added a kitchen to the river side. The Satterlee family restored the house during the Colonial Revival in the early 20th-century.
Situated on a bluff overlooking the James River, Wilton is an impressive example of Colonial American architecture and is a superb essay in Georgian design. Built circa 1753 for William Randolph III, Wilton was the centerpiece of a 2,000 acre tobacco plantation and home to the Randolph family for more than a century. It was here that they entertained George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the Marquis de Lafayette.
Appomattox Manor is a former plantation in Hopewell, Virginia, USA. It is best-known as the Union headquarters during the Siege of Petersburg in 1864-65. The restored manor house on a bluff overlooking the confluence of the James River and Appomattox River, and the grounds are managed by the National Park Service.
Appomattox Manor is a former plantation in Hopewell, Virginia, USA. It is best known as the Union headquarters during the Siege of Petersburg in 1864-65. The restored manor house on a bluff overlooking the confluence of the James River and Appomattox River, and the grounds are managed by the National Park Service. The museum there, Grant's Headquarters at City Point Museum, is a unit of the Petersburg National Battlefield Park.
Carter's Grove, also known as Carter's Grove Plantation, is a 750 acre (3 km²) plantation located on the north shore of the James River in the Grove Community of southeastern James City County in the Virginia Peninsula area of the Hampton Roads region of Virginia in the United States.
Oak Alley Plantation is located 55 miles west of New Orleans along and south bank of the Mississippi River and half way between the very small towns of St. James and Vacherie. The mansion was built in 1837 and was in a sad state of disrepair by the early 1920's when purchased and restored by the Stewart family in 1925. Upon the death of Mrs. Stewart the property was turned over to a non-profit organization which opened Oak Alley to the public.
circa 1751 Smith's Fort Plantation (rolfe-warren house) is located in Surry County, Virginia. The plantation got the name because it was the location of Captain John Smith's "New Fort," built in 1609, located directly across the James River from the Jamestown colony. The fort was quickly abandoned and the same land was later given by Chief Powhatan to John Rolfe as a dowry for the hand of Pocahontas when Rolfe and Pocahontas married. One of my favorite places to visit/tour..best in the summer.
On June 2, 1863 Harriet Tubman led Colonel James Montgomery and his troops on a raid aboard three steamboats on the Combahee River in Maryland. Plantations and stored cotton along the river were destroyed and over 800 enslaved people were freed. #TodayInBlackHistory
Berkeley Plantation is a Virginia and National Historic Landmark. Midway between Williamsburg and Richmond, Berkeley is the most historic plantation on the James River. Here in 1619, settlers observed the first official Thanksgiving in America. Berkeley was the home of Benjamin Harrison, signer of the Declaration of Independence, and William Henry Harrison, our ninth U.S. President.