Yawgoog Scout Reservation is a residential summer camp in Rockville, Hopkinton, Rhode Island (RI). Its trail network connects with networks in the Pachaug State Forest in Connecticut and the Arcadia and Rockville Wildlife Management Areas in Rhode Island.
"A hike becomes more than a walk in the woods on a trail with colored markers. It is a place to experience the wonders of Creation, and to feel the presence of the Creator of All Things. A night under the stars opens the heart to the awe and majesty of the universe, and the One Whose Word brought it into being." We Are All Campers. An article by Rabbi Sol Goodman posted to The Jewish Voice on February 27, 2014.
A portion of an 1855 map by Henry F. Walling showing Yawgoog Pond and Phillips Island in Rockville, Hopkinton, Rhode Island (RI). The map also shows the homestead of the Palmer family, where the Bucklin area is today, and the Maxon homestead, now a foundation hole behind Metcalf Lodge near the Curtis Tract sign.
Services at the original location of the Protestant Cathedral at Yawgoog sometime before the Great New England Hurricane of 1938. This image appeared on page 34 of the 1940 book "Nature Recreation" by William G. Vinal; the caption reads, "Fig. 10 -- A boy scout is reverent. A scene in the Outdoor Cathedral, Camp Yawgoog, Narragansett Council, Boy Scouts of America. (Photograph courtesy of J. Harold Williams, Chief Scout Executive, Narragansett Council.)" On the Orange Trail.
Yawgoog's Aquarium in the Late 1920s William G. Vinal wrote an article in the June 1928 edition of Nature Magazine entitled "Fishin' at Camp: Some Opinions on the Rights of Youth to Fishing Experience." In the article he described the aquarium, (click through for more)
Although nothing happens on video, the sound is probably from air escaping from bubbles frozen in the ice and passing through the film of water on top. At Deer Point, off the Yellow and Narragansett trails, at Camp Yawgoog, Rockville, Hopkinton, Rhode Island. Recorded on December 21, 2013, by David R. Brierley.
Video of the brook at Campsite Donald C. Dewing in Camp Yawgoog, Rockville, Hopkinton, Rhode Island (RI). The bridge was a filming location for the 2012 movie Moonrise Kingdom. Recorded on December 21, 2013, by David R. Brierley.
This 1939 photo of the mess tent in Campsite Kit Carson shows what dining in Camp Sandy Beach at Yawgoog was like before the dining hall was built. In the first volume of The Yawgoog Story (p. 32), J. Harold Williams writes: "First, we tried getting Troops to do their own cooking, but then we switched to feeding these pioneer camps from heater-stacks [insulated canisters or boxes] loaded in Medicine Bow kitchen." The image is believed to be from Boy Scout Troop 8 Cranston, Rhode Island (RI).
The "Camper Crossing" sign at the state border on Camp Yawgoog Road. Image by David R. Brierley.
What would Yawgoog be without its eclectic mix of signs? The image of Charlie Thomas' Factors Club sign is courtesy of the Temple of the Ten Commandments. Most of these signs can be seen on or near the Orange Trail. A 2013 Facebook cover photo by David R. Brierley.
The Jesse H. Metcalf Lodge nearing completion in 1939; the lodge was a memorial gift to Yawgoog from Mrs. Metcalf and it was built with lumber from trees that fell during the hurricane the previous year. The photograph is believed to have been taken by Boy Scout Troop 8 Cranston, Rhode Island (RI). (Please click through for more.)
The eagle totem on the Camp Yawgoog Totem Pole in the J. Harold Williams Amphitheatre, carved by Alan Fontana. The eagle is the symbol of the USA and the guardian of Yawgoog, representing high ideals and aims. The Narragansett expression for eagle is "wómpissacuk." The two totem poles were moved to the H. Cushman Anthony Stockade for the filming of Moonrise Kingdom. On the Orange Trail. Image by David R. Brierley.
In 2013 Mike Hogan tweeted this image of a 1948 medicine pouch of the Wincheck Indians, an honor society that existed before the Order of the Arrow. When the OA formed, the Wincheck Indians became Wincheck Lodge and then Abnaki Lodge. Mike says the pouch contains "some feathers, some ash, a bit of a stick, some pebbles." Perhaps these symbolize a burned arrow, with the pebbles representing the arrowhead. If so, this could be a reference to how Camp Medicine Bow got its name.
Part of the 1943 Voluntown Quadrangle, a map from the US Geological Survey, showing Phillips Island (the official name) in Yawgoog Pond. The island is sometimes erroneously referred to as "King Phillips Island" or "King Philips Island." Rockville, Hopkinton, Rhode Island (RI).
The Yawgoog area on May 25, 1939. At top center the Jesse H. Metcalf Lodge is under construction. At the far right is a long building running north-south; it is probably the ropewalk of the Yawgo Line and Twine Company (yes, "Yawgo"). Ropewalks were used to make rope. Please click through for more.
Mark Truman writes about a hike on the Yawgoog trails and Long and Ell ponds in a March 30, 2013, post of the Ramblings blog. Shown is a view from Hemlock Ledge on the Yellow and Narragansett trails.