; Opens a new tab
In 1897, Ms. Margaret Corlies and a sm. group of woman from Philadelphia petitioned city government to allow them to build a place for women only to enjoy rowing, bicycling and canoeing in the countryside. This was unheard of since the other boathouses were reserved for men only. The women were granted the right to build their house surrounding the Turtle Rock Lighthouse, the resulting home of the Sedgeley Club. Now Celebrating 125 years as a Social Club and Historical Landmark on Boathouse Row!