What was left of the Warren Street premises of Charles Pugh (Glass) Ltd after it was bombed in 1940. During the war the company manufactured glass for aircraft and tanks. Pugh's began in Victorian times when a law was passed forbidding the use of glass, which would allow passers by to see directly into the bars of public houses. It was common to obscure the glass with sandblasting or acid treatment.
World War II, 24th October 1940, London, England, A steel helmeted PDSA (People+s Dispensary For Sick Animals) official, rescues cats from the wreckage of a bombed East London building
World War II, 24th October 1940, London, England, A steel helmeted PDSA (People's Dispensary For Sick Animals) official, rescues cats from the wreckage of a bombed East London building (Photo by Popperfoto/Getty Images)
English schoolboys from London wait at Paddington Station to be evacuated to the countryside during the Blitz as German bombing of the city intensifies. The evacuation of civilians in Britain was designed to save the lives, particularly children, from the risks associated with aerial bombings of cities targeted by the Luftwaffe by moving them to areas thought to be less at risk. London, England, U.K. 7 September 1940. Image taken by George Rodger.