Grand Lake St. Marys, Ohio's largest inland lake, is the gateway to fishing, boating, swimming, biking and camping. Over 13,500 acres of surface water await the ardent angler. Excellent catches of crappie, catfish, bass, bluegill, as well as yellow perch in the winter are found in the lake. Boats with unlimited horsepower are permitted on the lake. Five state operated launch ramps also exist along the shallow shoreline. Fuel, boat rentals and seasonal dock rentals are available.
Constructed as a feeder lake for the Miami-Erie Canal, Grand Lake St. Marys, OH, was completed in 1845, as the largest man made lake in the world. It was formed by raising two walls of earth, 10-25 feet high, called the East and West embankments. The reservoir rests on the summit between the Ohio River and Lake Erie. Now Ohio’s largest inland lake, the lake is a prime recreational area offering a variety of activities for the whole family.
Boating: Grand Lake St. Marys, OH is open zoned for skiing and has unlimited horsepower for power boating. A 300 foot “no wake” zone provides for safety and shoreline protection. There are five state operated launch ramps providing boaters access to the lake. Private launch ramps are also available at marinas along the shallow shoreline. Sailing and jet skiing are very popular on this grand lake.
The Temple of Tolerance looks like it should be in an artist-hippie enclave like Sonora, Arizona, or Taos, New Mexico, not in the back yard of a suburban home in Wapakoneta, Ohio, birthplace of Neil Armstrong. The yard belongs to Jim Bowsher and took 18 years to build. The Temple & its satellite shrines occupy all of the space behind Jim's home- and that's a lot of space, because Jim owns the entire center of the block, equivalent to about two dozen Wapakoneta back yards.
New Bremen Historical Museum: In the early days of the Miami & Erie Canal in New Bremen, what was later referred to as the “Thompson House” was the lockkeeper’s house & New Bremen’s major overnight lodging establishment. The original lockkeeper’s house stood on the west bank of lock one until April 1968 when it was destroyed in a practice session for the New Bremen & other area Fire Departments. The foundation of the house was uncovered during the renovation of Lock One in 2006.
The Auglaize County Historical Society Daniel Mooney Museum, located in St. Marys, OH, was built in 1876 as the home of Major Charles Hipp, a former Civil War officer, this newly remodeled historical museum once belonged to Daniel Mooney, a former ambassador to Paraguay. Early Auglaize history is represented here with many artifacts and photos.
Land of the Cross Tipped Churches: In July of 1979, over 60 buildings representing the German Catholic settlements of southern Auglaize and Mercer Counties in Midwestern Ohio were placed on a National Register of Historic Places. Today, these structures remind us of the hard work and dedication of these early settlers as they built the Miami-Erie Canal and forged a new life on the area’s rich and productive farmland.
The Spiritual Center Retreat House, located in Maria Stein, OH, is a unique place to experience God’s Peace and Guidance. Arrangements can be made for group or private retreats. A chapel, meeting rooms, dining rooms and recreation hall are available. Mysteries of the Rosary along gravel paths and a Respect Life Memorial are added attractions in the lovely wooded setting.
National Marian Shrine of the Holy Relics & Maria Stein Heritage Museum: The shrine contains approx. 1000 relics of the saints & is the second largest collection of its type in the US. Built in 1890, the shrine & the adjacent former convent were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Located on the 2nd floor of the former convent building, this museum interprets the German settlements of southern Auglaize & Mercer Counties & the history of the Sisters of the Precious Blood.
Northwoods Lighthouse: This 1923 Eddystone lighthouse is a monument to the original English Channel beacon. In the early days, it operated under a government license from April to November. Located on the north shore between Celina and St. Marys. Viewing from lake only. Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
Behm’s Lighthouse: This beautiful stately structure was dedicated on April 19, 2003 in memory of Stanley Mike Grimm, who was killed in an auto accident in 1997. The operating marine light can be seen up to seven miles. It can be viewed on the south shore of the Grand Lake St. Marys at 5444 Behm Rd. at Behm’s Landing.
Saint Charles, resting on 500 acres in Carthagena, Ohio, is the central house for the Cincinnati Province of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood. This apostolic community of priests & brothers was founded on August 15, 1815, by St. Gaspar del Bufalo, in Rome, Italy, & began missionary service in the United States in 1844. Now a Senior Living Center, come visit St. Charles to see its large, beautiful chapel and learn about its history.