Westover Plantation is just ONE of many plantations that line Route 5 between Williamsburg and Richmond, Virginia. Tour some and admire others from the road; the history of this stretch of road is like no other.
This May 1964 image shows the Rolling Pin Bakery on Lakeside Avenue. The bakery opened in the 1930s on West Broad Street. After the death of owner William T. Price in the late 1950s, the store relocated to Lakeside, where it remained for many more years before closing.
In March 1938, the Richmond-Ashland Electric Line ceased operating trolleys after 31 years. The route had its start in 1812 as a stagecoach toll road. Trolleys were seen as the way of the future in 1907, but because of financial difficulties, the route finally changed over to bus service.