The Bedford Oak - At the corner of The Hook Road and the old Bedford Road (now Cantitoe Street) stands a majestic and venerable white oak tree, "Quercus alba". It is estimated to be over 500 years old, its girth is more than 30 feet, and the spread of its branches is 120 feet from tip to tip. From the days when Bedford was Indian Territory, through the Revolutionary War and to the present, this noble tree has seen much history.
Take a walk back through time with our newly published book and map 'Walking Tour of Historic Bedford Village'
The Bedford Historical Society offers a program entitled “Artifacts through the Centuries.” Students view and discuss Native American artifacts from the collection of William H. Lewis, representing life prior to colonization
The 'Schoolmistress' demonstrates the Dunce Cap at a tour of the 1829 Schoolhouse. Students also learn the rules of a 19th century one-room school
Local Students at The Bedford Historical Society 1787 Court House. History on the court house is shared and students participate in a mock trial
Local students participating in 'Footsteps in the Past - Walking the Trail of History In Bedford, NY' - a Bedford Historical Society 'History Matters' program