Steve Bloom

Steve Bloom

48 followers
·
16 followers
NYC
Steve Bloom
More ideas from Steve
This how it looked when the client brought it to me, before any work was done. Yikes! All of the pieces were not found, so I had to make a new patch.

This how it looked when the client brought it to me, before any work was done. Yikes! All of the pieces were not found, so I had to make a new patch.

Here is the block after belt sanding to match the curve of the guitar. I'm going to clamp the patch wood to the mold.

Here is the block after belt sanding to match the curve of the guitar. I'm going to clamp the patch wood to the mold.

Here's the new piece of maple before bending, next to the mold block.

Here's the new piece of maple before bending, next to the mold block.

Piece of maple wood in boiling water.

Piece of maple wood in boiling water.

Piece of maple clamped to the block. Wait until fully dry.

Piece of maple clamped to the block. Wait until fully dry.

Here's the hole after smoothing, filing and beveling the edges.

Here's the hole after smoothing, filing and beveling the edges.

Pencil rubbing of the hole to transfer to the patch wood.

Pencil rubbing of the hole to transfer to the patch wood.

Here's the cutout of the pencil rubbing, ready to be traced on to the curved piece of maple.

Here's the cutout of the pencil rubbing, ready to be traced on to the curved piece of maple.

Cutting close to the pencil lines with a jeweler's saw.

Cutting close to the pencil lines with a jeweler's saw.

Cutting finished, now comes the filing and sanding to get it to fit the hole. Gradually.

Cutting finished, now comes the filing and sanding to get it to fit the hole. Gradually.

Almost there!

Almost there!

Patch wood being glued in place. Finally!

Patch wood being glued in place. Finally!

I used my daughter's Water Color paint set to tint the new patch. I got fairly close. Mostly yellow with a hint of orange did the trick!

I used my daughter's Water Color paint set to tint the new patch. I got fairly close. Mostly yellow with a hint of orange did the trick!

Here's the patch leveled, sanded smooth and tinted, but no finish as yet.

Here's the patch leveled, sanded smooth and tinted, but no finish as yet.

All done! I ended up using a super glue finish. Quick, and shiny!

All done! I ended up using a super glue finish. Quick, and shiny!

Here's a picture of this very large Jumbo Guild 12-String. Ready to go back to making music!

Here's a picture of this very large Jumbo Guild 12-String. Ready to go back to making music!