In the 1860s, needing a place to escape the rigors of his bishopric, Jean Baptiste Lamy built a modest lodge near Santa Fe in Tesuque. Called "Villa Pintoresca," it had two small rooms and a tiny chapel, along with lush gardens and orchards. It's now a National Historic Landmark within the Bishop's Lodge resort. This is how it looked in 1942. Palace of the Governors Photo Archives HP.2007.20.368.