Fort Delaware State Park is a 288-acre park on Pea Patch Island in New Castle County, Delaware. A fortress was built on Pea Patch Island by the Army in 1815 to protect U.S. harbors. The fort was converted to a Prisoner of War camp during the Civil War. Award winning reenactors provide a glimpse into the past of Pea Patch Island. Visitors to the park may see a blacksmith at work, watch the firing of a live gunpowder charge, or assist a laundress at work.The park can only be accessed by ferry.