HMS Vanguard in 1946. Vanguard was a British fast battleship built during World War II and commissioned after the war. She was the only ship of her class and was the biggest, fastest and last of the Royal Navy's battleships, and the final battleship to be launched in the world. Work on the ship's design commenced before the war because the Royal Navy anticipated being outnumbered by the combined German and Japanese battleships in the early 1940s.
HMS Vanguard(23) showing her distinctive transom stern. The Royal Navy's last battleship, HMS Vanguard, shown shortly after commissioning in 1946. Laid down as a 'one off' early in WW2 to make use of stored 15 in guns, her completion was delayed till after the war by higher resource priorities.Built by John brown & Co, Clydebank. 44,500t standard load,814ft long.4 Shafts powered by 4 Parson Steam Turbines gave 30kn. 4 x 2 15" & 8 X 2 5.1/4" QF guns. She remained in commission till 1960.
HMS Vanguard pictured in Portsmouth harbour in 1960, the year in which she was de-commissioned. The last battleship ever to enter service anywhere, she was laid down in 1939 as a 'one off' to make use of stored 15 in guns as war loomed, but competing resource priorities delayed her completion till 1946.
HMS Vanguard, the Royal Navy's last battleship - in fact the last completed anywhere. She was laid down at the beginning of WW2 to make use of the 8 x 15 in guns stored after the conversion of light battlecruisers Courageous and Glorious to carriers, but higher resource priorities meant she was not completed till 1946. She stayed in commission till 1960.