Home Guards in the Edinburgh area had organised a motor boat patrol for use on the canals and waterways of the district to protect local factories and buildings. In this photograph, Home Guards patrol a section of an Edinburgh canal in a motor boat armed with rifles and a mounted Lewis gun on 19 October 1940.
Two members of the British Home Guard with a Vickers machine gun on a village green in Surrey. Originally known as the Local Defence Volunteers, the force was set up in 1940 as a precaution against enemy parachute landings behind the lines in the event of an invasion. By July the Home Guard numbered 500,000.
Michael Ford (1920-?), British / Home Guards Brewing Tea Just before Dawn, 1941, oil on canvas ... WWII British Home Guard soldiers in a cramped hut making tea by candlelight / Imperial War Museum, London, UK